Yemen Current Economic Activity During 2015
Locations within Country: Sana’a, Aden, Taiz, Mukalla
Services: In-Depth Interviews with Key Informants
Context of the Assignment:
Throughout 2015, Yemen continued to reel economically in the midst of conflict between the different warring parties. Especially problematic is the blockade which currently leaves Aden as the only official entry-point for goods into and out of the country (though some private vessels still access other ports, including Hodeidah). Under these circumstances, this project sought information regarding the status of trade and economic activity with respect to product-based businesses at the important commercial centers in Yemen (Aden, Sana’a, ports, etc.).
Description of the Assignment:
The objective of this assignment was to conduct in-depth interviews to obtain information regarding the current economic environment in Yemen. This project collected information regarding the status of trade and economic activity during 2015 with respect to product-based businesses at the important commercial centers in Yemen. Our responsibilities included recruiting and interviewing 12 candidates who were experienced with businesses and commerce in Yemen across a variety of industries and had knowledge and insight to answer the assessment’s questions. Candidates included business owners, local merchants, logistics providers, goods transportation agents, and others. The assessment tried to answer questions such as:
- What product-based industry sectors continue to operate in Yemen, despite the conflict?
- What are the leading domestic companies in these product-based industry sectors?
- What is the current presence of foreign firms in Yemen in product-based businesses and/or transport of goods?
- Are there zones across which goods and/or people are prohibited from traveling and how goods flow to these areas?
- What kinds of goods are logistics providers still moving, despite the conflict?
- What is the current status of Yemen’s ports with respect to trade? What is the reality of economic activity at the ports?
- What is the current status of transport of goods to Yemen overland via neighboring countries, specifically Saudi Arabia and Oman? Which routes have seen an increase in the volume of goods flow?
- Where have opportunities emerged as the result of the conflict?
- Where are the most promising opportunities in the event hostilities conclude?
- Client Vista International
- Date October 31, 2015
- Tags Public Sector, Research, Monitoring, and Evaluation